February 12th & 13th, 2021 at the River Room in historic Fort Scott, Kansas — LIMITED SEATING
We're delighted to welcome new and returning speakers to lead the conversation:
Rev. Francis Bethel, OSB
Prior, Clear Creek Abbey
Rev. James Jackson, FSSP
Pastor, Our Lady of Mt. Carmel in Littleton, CO
President, Catholic Answers
President, Society of G.K. Chesterton
Director of Book Publishing, Augustine Institute
Assistant Headmaster, Gregory the Great Academy
Headmaster, Gregory the Great Academy
Headmaster, St. Martin's Academy
Friday, February 12th
- Joseph Pearce Wisdom and Wonder versus Pride and Prejudice
- Panel: Meet the Professors – an Introduction to John Senior, Frank Nelick, and Dennis Quinn Fr. Jackson, Alan Hicks, Kenneth Klassen
- Afterglow and star-gazing (weather permitting) at St. Martin's Academy
Saturday, February 13th
- Welcome and Opening Remarks Daniel Kerr, Prairie Troubadour host
- Fr. James Jackson On the Integrated Humanities Program
- Panel: Education in the Poetic Mode Alan Hicks, Howard Clark, Luke Culley
- Fr. Francis Bethel On Monasticism and the Poetic
- 12 noon
- Lunch on your own We recommend Luther's BBQ, just downstairs from the event venue.
- Sean Fitzpatrick The Quixotic Quest for Beautiful Bull$#!@
- Breakout Sessions: Latin as a Living Language (Magister Klassen), Calligraphy (Maria Klassen), John Senior and the Restoration of Realism (Fr. Bethel), and more!
- Panel: The Restoration of Christian Culture Joseph Pearce, Christopher Check, Dale Ahlquist
- Whiskey & Cigar Soiree with the Speakers, with musical entertainment by the students of St. Martin's et alia For VIP pass-holders only
Frequently Asked Questions
Has your venue changed? Yes – this year's event will be held at the River Room, at 3 W Oak Street in historic downtown Fort Scott.
What lodging options are available in Fort Scott? The Courtland Hotel at 620.223.0098 and the Sleep Inn at 620.223.2555 are excellent options and they have taken very good care of Troubadourians in past years. When you call to book please mention that you're attending the Prairie Troubadour.
What are the options for Mass over the weekend? Mass will be offered in the Extraordinary Form especially for Troubadour guests at 10am on Sunday February 14th at St. Pius X Catholic Student Center in Pittsburg, Kansas (a 30-minute drive from Fort Scott). Mass in the Ordinary Form is available at Mary Queen of Angels in Fort Scott at 5:30pm on Saturday the 13th, and at 8am and 10am on Sunday.
Are there discounts available? Yes, discounts are available for students, youth and members of Mary Queen of Angels parish. Please email firstname.lastname@example.org and we will send you the appropriate discount code that you can use at checkout.
Will there be child care available? We will not be providing child care this year.
The Prairie Troubadour is named in memoriam of poet, song-writer and man of the Kansas prairie, Gerald Francis Kerr.
What is the Troubadour?Faithful to Holy Mother Church, The Prairie Troubadour is a group of friends inspired by the likes of Cardinal Newman, ChesterBelloc, John Senior, and other stalwarts of the Faith, to live and share the Joy of Christ through stories, song and good red wine. Through our annual symposium, we intend to create an authentic Catholic experience where the Good, the True and the Beautiful are glimpsed through lively discourse punctuated by earnest prayer, toothsome food, strong drink and the real mirth found in friendship. Catholicism needn't be stodgy and narrow. Quite the contrary! As G.K. Chesterton reminds us, the walls built by the Church through doctrine and discipline are not the walls of a prison, but the "walls of a playground." And as Belloc wrote, "Wherever the Catholic Sun doth shine, there's always laughter and good red wine. At least I've always found it so. Benedicamus Domino."
Indeed it is so. Let us bless the Lord!
Dr. Gerald Kerr
1944 – 2015Patriarch, physician, poet, farmer, troubadour, true Kansan and lover of the prairie. Beloved husband, father of 6 and papa to 31 grand-children. Catholic son.
Stay in Touch
Not ready to register but want a reminder about this event? Just fill in this form and we'll keep you posted:
Questions? Email us at email@example.com.